You like all things Xbox so instead of just playing with it try making your own stuff. You can make a your own Lite-on probe for your Xbox with items you can pick up at RadioShack or a comparable electronic store.
Things you will need
- DB9 serial connector - Female (pic above shows backside)
- D-Sub connector hood (not show in this pic)
- NPN transistor
- 1K resistor
- 10K resistor
- spring from ink pen
- alligator clip
- wire from ear buds
- soldering iron
- solder paste (flux)
- wire clippers
Step 1 - Attach alligator clip
- Take one end of ear bud wire, clip off what ever is there, and separate wires a few inches.
- Slide one wire through alligator boot.
- Strip wire, apply flux to wire and clip, solder together.
- Slide boot over clip.
Step 2 - Attach probe (spring)
- Stretch out one end of the spring.
- Clip end with wire cutters and straighten out.
- Solder 2nd wire (same end that alligator clip is on) to spring.
- Tuck some of the wire in to the spring. This isn't necessary but I did it so there wasn't tension on the solder joint.
Step 3 - Readying the npn transistor
- Using tweezers, bend legs.
- Using wire cutters, clip legs.
- Solder 10k resistor to the "Base" leg.
- Take other end of ear bud wire, clip off what ever is there, and separate wires a few inches.
- Solder wire to other end of 10k resistor. Use the same wire that has the spring on the other end.
- Solder 1k resistor to other wire. It'll be the same wire that has the alligator clip on the other end.
Step 4 - Attaching npn to d-sub
- Solder the "Emitter" to pin 5. In the picture, pin 5 is top, outside pin.
- Solder the "Collector" to pin 2. In the picture, pin 2 is the top, second pin in from the left.
- Solder other end of 1k resistor to pin 2.
- Attach d-sub hood.
That's it. Your probe is complete. The spring runs to the R707 hole on the Lite On board. The alligator clip runs to a 5 volt source
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades